I taught a class this morning on how to successfully use blogging and social media for ministry. I shared a few points on what I think makes a successful blog. Here were my points…
- Make your posts relevant. Give me stuff that applies today and is relevant to me as a Christian, husband, father, etc.
- Make it short. No one, including myself, has time to read LONG blogs. No matter how relevant and important a topic, if it’s really long, I’ll skip right over it.
- Make me laugh. I love blogs that make me laugh. Allow your personality to come through.
- Challenge me. Don’t just give me some information, but challenge my thinking, my lifestyle and my way of life. Challenge me to be a better person, husband, Christian or father.
- Be open. Let yourself come through. Tell us about who you are, what you like and what you don’t like. Anonymous blogs are nice, but if we don’t know you, we won’t become attached.
- Update regularly. Nothing is more frustrating than finding a blog you love and it’s only updated once or twice a month.
These were a few of my thoughts on what make a successful blog. Do you agree? What attracts you to a blog?