I was reluctant to write this post because I have not perfected these points in anyway, but here goes…
- A real woman puts God first in everything she does. (Matthew 6:33)
- A real women is a woman of prayer. She doesn’t waste time by worrying, instead she gives her anxieties to God. (Philippians 4:6-7)
- A real woman puts more effort into inner beauty than outward beauty. Women tend to put a lot of time, money and effort into hair, makeup, nails, clothes, shoes, accessories, tanning and being physically fit. Do we spend an equal amount of time and effort making ourselves inwardly beautiful by feeding on God’s word, clothing ourselves with Christ, and putting on love? (1 Peter 3:3-4)
- A real woman knows that the way to a man’s heart is not always through the kitchen. (You get the point).
- A real woman does not think she is better than anyone else. Jesus associated with all kinds of people so we ought to as well. (Romans 12:3)
- A real woman keeps her tongue in check. She does not gossip, lie, nag or criticize. (James 1:26)
- A real woman guards her heart from garbage. She chooses carefully the movies and television she watches, the books she reads, and the music she listens to, because what goes into a woman’s heart and mind will eventually come out in the way she lives. (Psalms 27:19)
- A real woman doesn’t hold grudges, keep a score card or bring up past mistakes. She forgives and forgets. (Matthew 18:21, Colossians 3:13)
- A real woman is busy at home. This might mean she has to cook and clean every once in a while. (Hey, Paul wrote it before I did :-)) (Titus 2:5, 1 Timothy 5:14)
- A real woman keeps her priorities in check. As busy women, this might be one of our hardest struggles. In Luke 10, we find that Martha was busy serving the Lord, but Mary was choosing to sit at his feet. We are often asked to take part in many good and worthwhile activities, but we can’t do it all, especially if we forsake our time with God to do these things. Before we say “yes” to anything, maybe we should ask ourselves, “Will this matter in eternity?”
I’m sure there are some traits of a real woman that I’ve overlooked. What else could you add?