Yesterday (Sunday) was a blast. It was both exciting and fun. Yes, church can be both exciting and fun. The building was packed, there were lots of visitors, lots of necks to hug and I love preaching about our good God. I love my Childress church family.
Lea and Parker got to go to the NASCAR races yesterday at Texas Motor Speedway with 200,000 other screaming race fans. I stayed home this time and watched it on television. It was my first time in 5 years not to go (I was a little sad). But they had a great day doing mother and son things together. They got to see a great race and they said they had a wonderful devotional together.
Tomorrow we’ll do “Top 10 Tuesday.” But now, here are some brief thoughts about yesterday’s sermon and the link to listen to it if you’d like (PS – Neva, I mentioned you in my sermon… scary, hua?).
SERMON LINK: “Taste and See that the Lord is Good”
It seems in this world there are two kinds of people, givers and takers. And when it comes to takers, no one wants to hang out or hook up with a taker.
In the very same way, I believe that there are many unbelievers who feel God is a taker and not a giver and that’s why they are resistant to Christianity. Their feelings are, “Why would I want to hook up with a God who is a taker and not a giver?”
Many unbelievers feel God will take their…
- Freedom: “If I follow God, He’ll ruin my freedom with my friends, money and recreation.”
- Fun: “If I follow God, it’ll be boring and I’ll never have a day of fun again.”
- Fulfillment: “We only go around once in life, why should I allow God to steal my fulfillment?” “And if I only go around once in life, why would I want to hook up with a taker?”
But, taste and see, God is really a GIVER who gives true…
- Freedom: God is the one who gives freedom from sin, anger, guilt, pain, confusion and fear. He gives me the freedom to grow, serve and love. Jesus said, “If the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.”
- Fun: God is the giver of true joy. Joy begins with giving your life away. Slaves of Christ are the freest people in the world. With God my happiness is not directly related to my circumstances. That means that I can be joyful even when I have a bad day. Because my joy is not external, but internal. Jesus said, “I have come that you might have life, and have it more abundantly.”
- Fulfillment: The most rewarding thing in life is a relationship with God. It won’t exempt you from problems, but it will satisfy you. “Taste and see that the Lord is good” Psalm 34:8.
God is a giver, not a taker. The Bible says that “God so loved the world that He GAVE…” (John 3:16) And Romans 8:32 says: “He who did not spare His own Son, but gave Him up for us all–how will He not also, along with Him, graciously give us all things?”
God is a good God. He is definitely a giver and not just a taker … “Taste & See that the Lord is Good”
QUESTION: What do you think are some other reasons that people are unwilling to give their lives to God?