Despite all of Batman’s strength, he still struggled to do what was right sexually when it came to Vicki Vale and other women in his life. Superman & Spiderman, despite all their power, couldn’t resist the sexual temptations of Lois Lane and Mary Jane.
Many biblical superheroes have had their share of struggles with sexual temptation too. Samson was the strongest man in the Bible; Solomon was the wisest man in the Bible; and David was the one called “a man after God’s own heart,” but all three of them struggled and LOST when it came to sexual temptation. I guess even our greatest heroes struggle with what is possibly man’s greatest weakness… sexual purity.
This year alone, the porn industry will make more money than the NFL, MLB and NBA combined. On the internet alone, you will find…
- 4.2 million pornographic websites (12% of total websites)
- 372 million pornographic pages
- 25% of daily search engine requests are people searching for pornography.
- 1.5 million people a day will visit a pornographic website
Sadly, there have been many Godly men, husbands and fathers that haven’t fared much better than our so-called superheroes. Countless strong men of God, have crashed-and-burned when it came to their weakness of sexual temptation.
But then I met Joseph, a true superhero (Genesis 39). A man who despite the sexual advances of the boss’ wife, said no to her offers. Joseph did three things right when he was tempted…
- He refused (Genesis 39:8). He did not sit down and discuss it with her. He simply said, “No!”
- He removed the temptation (Genesis 39:10). He didn’t go around her and wouldn’t spend any time with the woman who was tempting him sexually.
- He ran (Genesis 39:12). When she grabbed him by the coat and said, “Come to bed with me,” he didn’t stick around even long enough to be polite. He simply ran out of the house.
Solomon had much to say in the book of Proverbs (here, here and here) about men learning to say “No!” to sexual temptation
Simply put, men … be strong. Do the things Joseph did. Refuse. Remove. Run. Keep your mind pure. AND, it helps to keep your pants zipped.