A long time ago someone handed me an index card that said “Don’t just pray, pray dangerously.” I’ve always been curious about how to pray dangerously, because so many of my prayers are “me” centered. I sometimes present my prayers to God like they are a Christmas list, “Lord, here are the things I want.”
Let me challenge you to pray some dangerous prayers this week. Ask God for some things that will spice up your spiritual life. Pray any of these 5 dangerous prayers and see what happens.
- SEARCH ME (Psalm 139:1, 23) – How many times do we look at others sins, others problems and other screw ups and not see our own. David asks God to search him and show him any thing that’s offensive in his life. And the more I learn about myself the more I realize there are so many areas of my life still not fully surrendered to God. Ask God to “search you” this week.
- BREAK ME (Psalm 139:24) – “Lord, if you find any offensive way in me … break me.” One of the ways we grow spiritually is through our brokenness. My life is full of worldly things that I have allowed to become “acceptable” because others do it, but God sees as sin. Break me in these areas, Lord.
- STRETCH ME (or Test Me) (Psalm 139:23) – The strongest Christians I know are those that have been stretched and tested. Just like companies test there products to see their weaknesses, so also our testing can do the same. In the book of Acts we find the apostles and the church being stretched and tested, it made them stronger. Show us our weaknesses Lord, so we can become stronger in them.
- LEAD ME (Psalms 139:24) – Asking God to take your life and lead you is a HUGE risk. Because His plans for us may be different (and better) than our own plans for us. Just ask Abraham what it means to have God lead you (Genesis 12). God told Abraham He wanted him to move, and when Abraham asked, “where,” God said, “You pack and let me lead you and I’ll let you know when we get there.” Wow, risky, but what an amazing adventure.
- USE ME – It’s exciting to make yourself available to God so that He can touch someone else through you. “Use me” is a dangerous prayer that creates adventure. Oh, how I want to be used by God, but to be used, I wonder if I first must allow Him to search me, break me, test me, stretch me, and lead me.
Want to spice up your spiritual life? Pray a dangerous prayer this week.
To my friend Don, “AW – Please say it isn’t so.”