Can you imagine being so poor and so hungry that you’d take up residence at your local dump and dig through the disgusting trash to find yourself something to eat? Can you imagine feeding your children scraps of molded rotting garbage, just so they can live? Can you imagine your children picking the little bites of chicken off a chicken bone they found in the garbage? All these are regular occurrences at the dump in Tegucigalpa, Honduras. The Tegucigalpa dump is a dark and horrible place to live, yet many people do. For the last two years we’ve helped make a difference in these forgotten people’s lives, with our Dump Day.
Dump Day is May 4th this year. Since the start of Dump Day and because of your donations …
- A daycare center has been set up outside the dump so that parents will not have to take their children into the dump with them.
- Food is provided at the dump.
- Baby formula is provided.
- A shower place was built outside so that people could wash themselves and clean up.
- A water sanitation system has been set up outside the dump where people can get clean water.
- This year (besides providing meals for hungry people) an aquaponics garden/farm project is being built on land outside the dump. This is big because it will feed the people and provide jobs for years! It is estimated that the garden will provide 1 million pounds of fish and food a year.
All these things are helping to break the vicious cycle of poverty that keeps people in the dump! It provides many families and children with a way out! Your giving has been amazing.
Please help us spread the word about this year’s Dump Day by posting or embedding this video on your blog, Facebook or Twitter.