I’m honestly not a big movie watcher, and most of the movies I do watch are after they come out on television (helps that they are edited). Someone recently asked me to name my 10 favorite movies of all time. I thought that sounded fun, and I thought it’d be cool to know yours too.
So here are 10 of my favorite movies (click on the names to see the trailers)…
- Castaway – I watched this movie a dozen times the summer I was home recovering from cancer surgery. It was more than a movie, it was about hope for my future. The quote that still gets me today is, “I had power over ‘nothing’, and that’s when this feeling came over me like a warm blanket. I knew, somehow, that I had to stay alive. Somehow. I had to keep breathing, even though there was no reason to hope, and all my logic said that I would never see this place again. So that’s what I did. I stayed alive. I kept breathing. And one day my logic was proven all wrong because the tide came in, and gave me a sail. And now, here I am. I’m back. In Memphis, talking to you. I have ice in my glass… And I’ve lost her all over again. I’m so sad that I don’t have Kelly. But I’m so grateful that she was with me on that island. And I know what I have to do now. I gotta keep breathing. Because tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?”
- Shawshank Redemption – Wow, what a great movie. It’s still a must see. Remember this, “
- We got no food, no jobs… our PET’S HEADS ARE FALLING OFF!I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this. I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver’s is full of it, man.”
- Field of Dreams – “Dad, you want to have a catch?” Enough said.
- Nacho Libre’ – Not sure what it was about this movie that appealed to me, but I loved it. I probably watched it a dozen times. I’ll never forget the baptism scene where Nacho is worried about the salvation of his friend, so he takes it on himself to give him a sniper baptism. That still makes me laugh today. (Watch it here)
- Tombstone – “I’ll be your huckleberry.” I had to have at least one Western on my list.
- Troy – Why did I like the movie Troy? One word baby, “Testosterone!”
- Star Wars Movies – I loved all of the six Star Wars movies and their amazing sound effects. My friend Ryan is also a Star Wars fan and I quoted him this line from one of the Star Wars movies. He can’t remember it, can you? “Hey, want to buy some deathsticks?”
- Gladiator – I probably like this movie better than Braveheart and Troy. Gladiator had a great villain you loved to hate (Joaquin Phoenix).
So, what are your Top 10 favorite movies?