- MY DREAM IS FOR UNITY. It’s time that we grow up and stop fighting. If Jesus prayed for unity (John 17) among his followers, and Paul preached it (1 Corinthians 1), I think we should start doing it. We’re all in this together and our goal is to take as many people with us to heaven as possible. When we fight, we’re simply focused on the wrong thing.
- MY DREAM IS THAT WE WOULD FOCUS ON PEOPLE. Church is and always has been about people, not about buildings, programs or mission statements. Let’s put our focus back where it should be … meeting people’s needs. Stop building multi-million dollar buildings just because you feel the need to keep up with what other churches are doing. This is STUPID and unbiblical. (More on this later this week.)
- MY DREAM IS FOR FINANCIAL SUPPORT FOR MISSIONARIES. It would be SO awesome to use the Lord’s money on missions throughout the world. I’d love to see that anyone who wanted to go and do mission work could financially. Instead missionaries want to go, but no one will send them.
- MY DREAM IS FOR COMMUNITY OUTREACH. It’s not just about reaching the world, but also reaching the people across the street. It’s about reaching the people you work with, play with and run with. Church is not just about what we do “in the building,” but also what we do “outside the building.” Every church should be outwardly focused to win their community for Christ. Just unlocking the doors and turning on the lights on Sundays and Wednesdays won’t do it. We must go to the world and not just expect them to come to us.
- MY DREAM IS THAT WE BECOME A CHURCH THAT TALKS ABOUT JESUS ALL THE TIME. He’s our main focus. Our main focus isn’t buildings, budgets or bottom lines, it’s Jesus. We don’t need gimmicks to draw people in, we have Jesus. He should be at the center of everything we do and teach.
- MY DREAM IS THAT WE WILL FOCUS ON TEACHING AND TRAINING OUR CHILDREN AND YOUTH (THE FUTURE CHURCH). Children are the future. You cannot put too much emphasis on the youth and children. Our future looks bright when we invest time, money and effort into our youth. Teach them and train them to be a powerful and effective church.
- MY DREAM IS THAT WE WOULD LOVE PEOPLE EVEN WHEN THEY HURT US. Too many people get their feelings hurt and quit church. I’ll be the first to admit that it’s always been a temptation in life and ministry to become bitter and angry at people who hurt you. But you never want to allow negative things to drive wedges in relationships that may last an eternity. Love people…Jesus did. It’s not easy, but we’re called to do this.
- MY DREAM IS THAT WE WOULD BECOME A CHURCH THAT TALKS ABOUT REAL ISSUES. While it is important to study all things in the Bible, most people attending our churches do not care about the measurements of the Temple, but they do want to know how they can hold a marriage together, how they can keep from going under financially and how to raise good kids.
- MY DREAM IS THAT WE WOULD BECOME A CHURCH WHERE ALL PEOPLE FEEL WELCOME. I don’t know how many times I’ve heard in the past, “The last place I wanted to bring my friend was to church, because I knew the preacher would say something to embarrass them or me.” How sad. The church needs to be a safe environment where people know they can bring family or friends without them getting their “hides nailed to the wall.”
I’d love to hear some things you dream of the church becoming…