I spent this past weekend in Santa Fe, New Mexico, doing a “Strong Marriages” seminar. I had a great time. I don’t have a lot to blog about this morning, so I thought I’d share a few things from my journal. Here are a few things I’ve written down this past week about being a “Follower of Jesus.” These are just a few thoughts and quotes I’m trying to process and work through:
Jesus said, “Follow me…”
- The church is to be the body of Christ in the world. Jesus’ followers are to be His hands and feet to others. Somehow the church has done a great job of making believers, but a horrible job of making followers of Jesus. We do a great job being Jesus’ mouth, but a poor job of being his hands and feet.
- Being a believer is easy. Being a follower is hard.
- Jesus didn’t come just to save me from hell … He came to call me (and you) to a lifestyle change.
- Jesus didn’t call me to a life of just going to church, but a life of adventure by being his hands and feet to other people. I feel most fulfilled in my faith when I’m accepting that adventure.
- My job is to draw people to Jesus, to call them to follow, to challenge them to be Jesus in other’s lives …
- To bring people to Jesus, it must happen by showing people Jesus … not scaring the hell out of them.
- If we lose a generation of people it won’t be because we didn’t entertain them enough, but because we didn’t dare them with the gospel and the adventure that’s involved in following Christ.
- When Jesus said, “follow me,” he was saying “watch me,” and “see me.” He was telling people to see how he lived and do it the same way. If people watch Christians closely, will they see us looking like Jesus?
- “We need to stop complaining about the church we’ve experienced and work on becoming the church we dream of.” ~Shane Claiborne
- When it comes to Christianity, maybe even more important than what you believe and how you believe, is how you live.
- What I long for is a Christianity that looks more like Jesus.
- “The largest barrier to Christ has been Christians who shout loudly with their mouths, but have nothing to show with their lives.” ~Manning
So, what are some things that you’ve been thinking about? Do you have any thoughts on the things I mentioned above?