Dump Day is about a week away (May 4th). Dump Day started two years ago when we learned about the people in the Tegucigalpa dump, who are SO poor that they dig through the trash to find food and things to sell. Since the start of Dump Day and because of your donations …
- A daycare center has been set up outside the dump so that parents will not have to take their children into the dump with them.
- Food is provided at the dump.
- Baby formula is provided.
- A shower place was built outside so that people could wash themselves and clean up.
- A water sanitation system has been set up outside the dump where people can get clean water.
- This year (besides providing meals for hungry people) an aquaponics garden/farm project is being built on land outside the dump. This is big because it will feed the people and provide jobs for years! It is estimated that the garden will provide 1 million pounds of fish and food a year.
All these things are helping to break the vicious cycle of poverty that keeps people in the dump! It provides many families and children with a way out! Your giving has been amazing.
This year one of the things I’m excited about is if you make a donation of $150 or more, you will receive a beautiful hand-signed and numbered print of a little boy at the Tegucigalpa dump. The little boy was peeking out from under a tarp where he was taking a break from digging in the trash at the dump. Here’s the original photograph and the one beautifully painted by Chastity Henry. The first 200 people to make donations of $150 or more will get a hand-signed, numbered print (16×24) that they can hang in their home or office.
Send your check to:
P.O. Box 9222
Columbus, MS 39705
Please add “For Dump Day” and “Would like a Print”
This all starts next Wednesday … thanks for helping spread the word.