The other day we had so much fun talking about things we remember about “church when we were kids.” I thought it’d be fun to share some stories about crazy things we’ve seen in church. I’ve seen a lot of crazy things …. some funny, some sad and some down right jaw-dropping. Here are just a few things I’ve seen that have been a little on the crazy side….
- During a sermon I was preaching, I saw our youth minister get up, go to the back (unseen by others) and double over in pain. For the next 3 minutes he paced back and forth stopping regularly to double over in pain. As I kept preaching, I kept thinking, “Surely someone is going to see this guy and help him.” It was obvious something was wrong, and yes, I probably should have stopped and checked on him, but I was right in the middle of making a great point. (By the way, after a trip to the ER, he was fine … just bad indigestion.)
- I’ve witnessed a young man get so nervous when he was about to lead the prayer, that he literally froze up. Someone finally went up and rescued him.
- Once during a funeral I attended, the preacher asked for the deacons to bring a crying, out-of-control woman to the front. As they grabbed her from her pew and carried her to the front, she cried and screamed louder. They placed her in front of the coffin, which the preacher opened and then he told her, “Look at him. Look at him. He’s dead and he ain’t a coming back.” They then took her back to her seat. I was glad I wasn’t crying and that I was hiding on the back pew.
- Once during a revival for a small country church, I noticed that in the baptistry they had a large mouse trap instead of water. On the second night during my sermon, I clearly heard the trap pop shut and a rat start flopping, flailing, screeching and dying for the next 20 minutes.
- Again while I was preaching elsewhere, I once saw a man on the front row take off his socks and clip his toenails during my lesson.
- One Sunday morning as a young teenager, I was entertaining everyone around me during the sermon. I then looked up and saw the scariest thing I’ve ever seen in my life… my mom looking very angry, standing at the end of the pew and waving for me to come with her. It was the longest walk of my life as I had to climb over all my friends to finally get to where my mom was standing. We walked to the back of the auditorium as everyone watched. I remember someone closing the doors and… well… that’s all I remember. I think I was knocked unconscious from all the blood loss.
- I did not see this, but I have to share my friend’s story. He was doing a gospel meeting when during the invitation a woman came down and confessed to adultery. She then stood and pointed out the man in audience, who was sitting with his family, that she’d committed adultery with and said, “He needs to get down here too. He’s as guilty as I am.” Wow, I’m glad I wasn’t there that morning.
- Someone said this had to be in their funniest moments. Ha, real funny! And yes, he’s still grounded.
I can’t wait to ask this question … What are some crazy things you have seen take place in a church building?