College should be one of the best times in your life because you are out on your own and making your own choices. BUT college should NEVER be the time you ditch God and your faith in order to experience the world. I read recently where 70% of college students quit Christianity during college … despite growing up in Christian homes. Ugh! Don’t buy into the lie that Satan feeds you, “This is the time you should be experiencing the world, drinking, partying!” Instead live for God … even when no one is watching.
They say every college kid struggles with the freshman 15 (15 lbs of weight gain the first year of college) … so let me give you 15 ways to keep from bailing on your faith during college…
- Keep your relationship with God your #1 priority … not school, not work, not the opposite sex or anything else.
- Read your bible everyday.
- Make it a priority to find a church to attend … and then get your rear-end out of bed and go.
- Hang with the right crowd. Run with the wrong crowd, in the wrong places … and you’ll do the wrong things.
- Get involved with other college students that have the same spiritual goals.
- Don’t believe the lie that “everyone is doing it….” whatever someone tells you “it” is.
- Pray every day for strength.
- Remember daily how good God has been to you. Why would you want to turn your back on that?
- Find an accountability partner who will help keep you spiritually accountable.
- Don’t hang out in the wrong places… places where you’ll be tempted.
- Serve others. Look for a place to volunteer.
- Find a campus ministry, college ministry or bible chair to get involved with.
- Communicate and give regular updates to your parents, youth minister or mentor on how you are doing spiritually.
- Find a weekly bible study to get involved in or host one in your home.
- Remember that Satan is going to do everything he can to get you. He’ll use people, places and things to tempt you … keep an eye out for his schemes.
College kids … stay strong in your faith!