One of the most frequent reasons given for someone not attending church is because the services are boring. I think the only place there should be boring churches is in Boring, Oregon where I’ve found, with the help of Google, that there are actually 25 Boring churches.
- When we use big words or “churchy” words that some don’t understand.
- When we make anything other than Jesus our focus.
- We’re afraid to use humor.
- In our sermons we don’t make any applications to everyday life.
- When God’s Word isn’t served up hot and fresh.
- When our sermons quote tons of scripture and never tell any stories.
- When we preach about the Hittites, Perizzites or Jebusites instead of something a little more relevant today.
- When our services go long. No one really has anything else to do anyway.
- When we don’t use any visual stimulation like overheads, PowerPoint or object lessons.
- When we feel like it’s our goal to only beat people up, never build people up.
So, give me some help on this one. What are some things you thing might make church services boring to some?