A truly happy marriage never happens by accident, instead it takes time and effort.
According to the national average, a couple will spend $17,500 and copious amounts of time on their wedding. But how much do they actually spend on their marriage?
A husband and a wife who are willing to put lots of time and energy into building a strong marriage, can have the kind of marriage they want. Whether you’ve been married 2 months or 20 years, the best time to start building a strong marriage is today. Start today by committing to your spouse, “I want us to have a great marriage.” Don’t neglect your marriage for years and then wonder, “I don’t know what happened.” Instead, put some time and effort into your marriage.
If you’ve spent years neglecting your marriage and your spouse’s needs, here are some things that will help…
- Don’t give up.
- Commit with your spouse to starting over today. Commit to putting time and effort into restoring and building a great marriage.
- Seek out an expert, a Christian marriage counselor.
- Educate yourself. Find some books on marriage and read them together. Here’s a list of books Lea and I have used to better our marriage. Reading together is one of the best things we’ve ever done.
- Invest large amounts of time and effort into building a great marriage.
- Get out of town … without your children. Spend a weekend away with just the two of you.
- Be patient. Things don’t always change overnight. Can you imagine a man who has spent years neglecting his health, all of a sudden going to a doctor and saying, “Make it better … quick.” Doctors can’t fix years of neglect overnight (and sometimes not at all). Fixing years of neglect to your physical health often takes months and years of hard work and discipline to get your body back on track. The same is true if you’ve neglected your marriage. It may not be able to be fixed overnight, but with time, hard work and discipline … you can get it back on track.
A good, happy, healthy, strong marriage doesn’t happen by accident … it takes work. Invest some time and effort into your marriage today.
I’d love to know, what are some ways that you and your spouse invest time and effort in your marriage?