FIRST: I think it would have been better for me if Jesus would have ended the “lost” stories of Luke 15 with the story of the Prodigal Son. Instead he added the “older brother” into the story. When he did, he added me into the story. Ouch.
SECOND: I think I need a better understanding of God’s grace. Every time I think, “I got it,” He blows my thinking right out of the water. Examples of God’s absolutely amazing grace:
- David – Committed two of the biggies (adultery & murder) and yet was still a man after God’s own heart.
- Manasseh – The most evil king that ever ruled Israel. He sacrificed his own son on the alter of a foreign god, took the lives of God’s prophets and literally laughed in God’s face. But at the end of his life, God punishes him and Manasseh decides to repent. And you won’t believe it, but God forgives him. What? God forgave him? Yep! I couldn’t believe it either.
- Jonah – Want to know why Jonah jumped a boat in the opposite direction of Nineveh? Because he knew “God was merciful and would forgive,” and he didn’t want God to do that.
- The woman at the well – She was married five times and was shacking up with another man when she met Jesus. Yet Jesus found her incredibly important and salvation worthy.
- The woman caught in adultery – Sadly, had I been there, I would have probably been holding a stone.
- The thief on the cross – One of the greatest stories of grace ever. But I missed it the first part of my life because I was too busy arguing about the thief’s salvation.
- I could go on.
THIRD: I think it took having children of my own to get a better understanding of just how much God loves us.
FOURTH: I think it would be awesome if God would tell me each Sunday what to preach and how to preach it. I think if He did tell me, He might say, “Remind them again this week just how much I love them.”
FIFTH: I think I love missionaries. They are truly my heroes and deserve my prayer and support.
I think these are a few things I think today. What do you think?