I’m always trying to learn things from everyday events. Little lessons hidden among daily events and activities. Some of the things I learn are beneficial and others are not. But as I see it … as long as I’m learning, I’m growing. So here are the things I’ve learned this week.
- NICENESS IS IMPORTANT: Cooper came in on his second day of kindergarten this week and said, “Dad, I met the meanest teacher in the whole world today on the playground.” “Really?” I replied. “Yes, Dad, she was very, very, very mean (note the 3 verys).” “And,” he said emphatically, “There was NO niceness in her at all.” I smiled and said, “No niceness at all?” He replied, “Nope, no niceness at all, Dad.” I couldn’t help but think, “It would be terrible to be known as a person with no niceness.”
- LOCK YOUR CAR DOORS: This is yellow squash season. Twice this week someone has secretly left squash in my pickup. Time to lock my doors.
- “BORING CHURCH” POSTS ARE HOT TOPICS: Wow, yesterday’s post was interesting. I had a ton of hits, a bunch of great thought provoking comments and many differing opinions. I don’t know why I didn’t remember that “worship practices” are a hot, and sometimes, touchy subject. Come to think of it, the first murder ever recorded in history (Genesis 4:1-8) was over an argument dealing with “worship practices.” I definitely learned a lesson on this one.
- CSI: I asked my wife a while back if she had ever consider divorcing me. She shook her head and said she’d never considered it, but she had thought about killing me a couple of times (I’m sure I deserved it). I’ve noticed this week she really likes CSI. Should I be worried if she starts taking notes?
- FINALLY, SOMETIMES IT’S OKAY TO SAY, “I DON’T KNOW”: I learned this lesson from watching teenage beauty contestant Ms. South Carolina when she was asked a question she didn’t know. “I don’t know,” would have probably been a much better answer than the one she gave. I wondered if I’ve ever sounded like her trying to bluff my way through a question I didn’t know. If you haven’t see the video … (Click Here)
So, have you learned any lessons this week?