“Famous Celebrity Cheaters” was the article I saw this morning about famous people who had been caught cheating in their marriage. It bothered me to see the list of famous names like Tiger Woods, Bill Clinton, Arnold Swartzenager, Koby Bryant, David Letterman, LeAnn Rimes and others.
Some call it sleeping around … some call it cheating or being unfaithful. God calls it adultery … which is sin. No matter what you call it, it’s pretty clear on how God feels about adultery.
He doesn’t like it!
Here are a few things I took note of from the book of Proverbs this morning…
“Adultery is a brainless act, self-destructive … And a reputation ruined for good.” Proverbs 6:32
“…He who sleeps with another man’s wife, or even touches her will never go unpunished.” Proverbs 6:29
“Be faithful to your own wife… don’t give your love to just any woman. Be happy with the wife you married when you were young. Let her love always make you happy and hold you captive. My son, don’t be held captive by a woman who takes part in adultery. Don’t fondle a woman who is not your wife. The Lord sees everything you do, and he watches where you go. An evil man will be caught in his wicked ways … He will die because he does not control himself…” Proverbs 5:15-23
Here is what I take from this text in Proverbs 5, “Seek wisdom, delight in your own spouse, and keep your pants zipped around others.”
I’m not sure anyone ever sets out thinking, “I want to have an affair.” It just slowly happens. Sadly the consequences are far worse than you ever imagined. Think about this when it comes to having an affair …
- It’s wrong! Plain and simply … you know better. It doesn’t matter if it feels “right” … it’s wrong. It doesn’t matter how bad your marriage is … it’s wrong! Don’t do it. It’s a sin in God’s eyes, and He won’t take it lightly.
- You will hurt MANY people in your life. You will hurt your spouse. It will damage your children. They will pay a HUGE cost emotionally, relationally and psychologically. Your family will suffer … greatly.
- You will regret it .… plain and simple.
- It will bring you more pain than it ever will happiness.
- You promised to be faithful. You made a commitment and covenant to your spouse and to God. He expects you to keep that. If you are having marriage problems, seek professional counseling. If your spouse isn’t meeting your needs, seek professional counseling. Just don’t listen to satan, others or the world … an affair is wrong.
- It will wreck and destroy your reputation. No one, including your peers, family and children, will respect you.
Instead of pursuing a relationship with someone other than your spouse … just pursue your spouse. If you will expend the same amount of energy into your marriage as you would an affair, it would be a wonderful relationship. If the grass LOOKS greener on the other side of the fence … WATER your own lawn. Make magic in the relationship that already exists.
Don’t have an affair … it’s wrong.
“Adultery is a brainless act and self-destructive … and a reputation ruined for good.” Proverbs 6:32 (Message)