I was asked to participate in the 25 random things game, so here you go…
1. I grew up in a blended family of 9. We lived in a 3 bedroom/2 bath home, and I didn’t know that wasn’t normal.
2. I am four years older than Lea and when she was in about 8th grade I clearly remember telling one of my buddies, “When that girl gets a little older, she sure is going to be cute.”
3. When Lea was a freshman, she asked me if I could help her out by pretending to be her boyfriend. There was another boy chasing her that she didn’t like, and she thought if she pretended to go out with a much older guy, he’d leave her alone. I told her I’d be a nice guy and pretend as long as she needed me to. Now, after 4 years of dating, twenty years of marriage and four children later, it just hit me that I may need to go ask Lea, “We’re not still pretending are we?”
4. Once when I was about 12 years old, the phone rang as we had just bowed our heads to pray for our meal. I jumped up and answered the phone, “Dear Heavenly Father…” To my horror, the person on the other end of the phone was a friend of my sister that I thought was incredibly good looking.
5. The entire Morgan family has this incredible love for cereal and milk.
6. I can say “No!” to just about any dessert, but I struggle a bit when it comes to an apple pie and sweet-tart candies.
7. I’d choose a Seinfeld rerun over any prime time comedy show that’s on right now.
8. I vividly remember when I was a boy that there were three things that caused me to feel real tingly inside: shooting off fire crackers, b.b. guns and Farrah Fawcett.
9. As a boy, I had no doubt when I grew up that I’d marry Farrah Fawcett.
10. My brother and I single-handedly came close to driving the sparrow population into extinction when we got b.b. guns for Christmas.
11. If it’s orange … I don’t want to eat it: sweet potatoes, pumpkin pie, carrots, etc.
12. All those things my parents used to say to me that I said I’d never say to my kids, I love saying those things now!
13. I nearly died when I was a kid. I was in the bathtub, when I decided it would be more fun to get out and dance naked on the bathroom vanity. I accidentally touched the light and it electrocuted me. That day two things happened, I developed a healthy fear for electricity and also ended my naked dancing career.
14. My brother and I once rolled a spare tire off the roof of the house. After a couple of big bounces it took a sudden left turn and knocked down our neighbor’s entire fence.
15. I’ve had every vehicle I’ve ever owned, stuck at one time or another. I have this insatiable urge to take a vehicle places it shouldn’t go.
16. I have lots of 70’s music on my iPod, including the Bee Gees.
17. When my oldest child turned 18 it hit me just how young Lea was when she and I got married.
18. I’ve always been 4 years older than Lea. She has always been 4 years more mature than me.
19. I’m just beginning to realize how blessed I was to be raised in a Christian home with two Christian parents.
20. I can’t remember what I did for sermon illustrations before I had children.
21. Honestly when I was a kid I wanted to be a preacher only because they work just one day a week. At times I still can’t believe I’m a preacher. (And yes, I work more than one day a week. It’s really like one and a half. :))
22. When I was a kid I thought a new pair of shoes could actually make you run faster. Wait, I still believe that.
23. I really like to mow my grass, but I let my boys do it so they can have some spending money.
24. A few years ago I went around telling the funniest new joke I’d heard. I told a few deacons, elders, my mom and my uncle. Then I told my wife and she explained the joke to me. It was a dirty joke. I had to go apologize to everyone I’d told the joke to. That ended my dirty joke career.
25. I cannot drive by a can or cup on the street without going out of my way to smash it with my tire.
(COMMENT OF THE DAY: blogprophet said… “#13–wow, what could have been a great career!”)