Whoever said, “Sticks and stones can break my bones, but words will never hurt me,” didn’t know what they were talking about! The truth is that our words can make or break our relationships and we need to commit to using our words wisely. Never say the following…
1. “YOU’RE SO STUPID.” (or a jerk, or idiot).” Name-calling shouldn’t ever be a part of marriage.
2. “MAYBE WE SHOULD JUST GET A DIVORCE.” Never threaten divorce because you’re angry. Removed the divorce word from your marriage.
3. “IT’S ALL YOUR FAULT.” Blaming 100% of the problem on your spouse isn’t fair. Don’t blame, look for ways to fix.
4. “I NEVER LOVED YOU.” There is no bigger lie uttered by people. There was love when you married, or you wouldn’t have married. If the flame has died, work to reignite it.
5. “MARRYING YOU WAS A MISTAKE.” Not a phrase that builds up your marriage, it simply tears down.
6. “WHY CAN’T YOU BE MORE LIKE SO-IN-SO’S HUSBAND OR WIFE.” It’s totally unfair to compare your mate to what someone else might be.
7. “MY MOTHER WAS RIGHT ABOUT YOU.” or “YOU ARE JUST LIKE YOUR MOTHER.” No, just no! Don’t bring outside family into it.
8. “I TOLD YOU SO.” Even if you did, don’t rub your spouse’s nose in it. A good rule to remember in arguments is, if you’re wrong apologize, and if you are right then shut up.
9. “I’M SORRY, BUT…” Don’t ever include an excuse with a sincere apology. When you do, it makes the apology not seem legit.
10. “FINE, BUT DON’T EXPECT SEX FROM ME.” Whether it’s communication, affection, time spent together or sex, withholding needs from your spouse because you are made … is wrong. Just don’t.