Yesterday I did “10 things a husband should never do,” so here’s one for the wives…
- NEVER criticize or belittle your husband in public. A husband’s ego is fragile and being critical of him in public or to your girlfriends is crushing.
- NEVER withhold sex from your husband as punishment for something he has done wrong.
- NEVER put your relationship with your children above your relationship with your husband. Don’t stop being a mother, but just don’t make your children more important than your relationship with your husband.
- NEVER forget to regularly brag on your spouse. Men are like children, they are motivated by praise. You can not tell him too often how nice he looks, what a good dad he is, what a good provider he is, how much he still turns you on, etc. Simply be his biggest cheerleader.
- NEVER view meeting your husband’s needs sexually as a chore, but as a priority. Whether you’re having sex five times a week or five times a year … be happy. I read recently that couples who reported any kind of marital intimacy, everything from holding hands to sex, exhibited lower levels of stress. Strive to make your sex life sizzle.
- NEVER use the silent treatment. The silent treatment is an immature and horribly unhealthy way of communicating that something is wrong. Just share your heart.
- NEVER expect your husband to read your mind or to know what’s wrong with you. Ladies, I’ve said it once and I’ll say it a million more times, you CANNOT connect the dots close enough for us men to catch on to what you are thinking. Just spell it out. Dropping hints or just expecting your husband to know what your thinking will only lead to MORE frustration. Simply tell us what’s on your mind.
- NEVER underestimate the importance of doing things your husband likes to do. Be your husband’s best friend and spend time doing things he likes to do. Take interest in some of his hobbies. Some of the best memories you can make together are when you’re spending time together.
- NEVER take for granted your physical appearance. Everyone knows that men are visually stimulated, so dress with the goal of pleasing him. I’m not saying you have to be a trophy wife, but do the best with what you have. Face cream, rollers in your hair and an old pink bathrobe should not be the norm for how he sees you.
- NEVER forget to be limitless in your forgiveness. Husbands can make mistakes with the best of them, so always be willing to forgive.
Can you think of any I left off?