Here are a few things I bet your wife would like for Christmas, Valentines Day or any other special occasion. These are not things you would find in the Black Friday ads or 20% off at the department store, but I can promise you that your wife will love any of them this Christmas. (Here is “10 Gifts Your Husbands would Love).
So here are a few tips for men that will make your wives really happy…
- Commit to making date night a weekly activity. Check your calendar, find a babysitter and go out on a date every week. Something as simple as supper together or a movie can greatly strengthen your relationship. Make sure you focus on one another, not on checking on the kids or texting on your phone.
- Write her a romantic note. Whether you use paper and pen, or type it on the computer, just get it done. Tell her 10 things you like about her or remind her that she still rocks your world.
- Always talk about her in a positive light. Say praising things to others about her … especially if she’s present. Find something to compliment her on everyday.
- Learn the art of “non-sexual touching.” For some men non-sexual touching is an oxymoron. It’s two words that don’t go together, but what wives needs sometimes is their hand held, their hair stroked or their shoulder’s rubbed in a non-sexual way. This is called affection, and it is most likely your wife’s number one need. Understand though, affection is not a precursor to sex.
- Pray for her. Spend some time during your day praying for your wife, and then tell her that you did, or even better, pray with her. Ask her if she’ll spend a few moments praying with you. There is NO time in my marriage that I feel more oneness and intimacy than when I’m praying with my wife.
- Help her around the house. We’re not talking about changing the oil in the car, but more like running a vaccuum, washing the dishes or helping out with the kids on a regular basis. Whoever came up with the idea that the man’s only job in marriage is to “make a living” told a BIG fat lie.
- Take an interest in something your wife likes. You did this before you were married, why not do it again. Go shopping with her or watch a television show with her that she likes, but take an interest in her likes. You can’t find two people more different than Lea and I, but we have learned to like each other’s interests and hobbies. Try it … you might be surprised. Some of the things she likes might be fun.
- Be the spiritual leader in your home. Most wives wants you to be the spiritual leader in the home. It’s actually the way God designed it. A real men isn’t satisfied with just providing for their families, but want to do everything God designed them to do. Here are some example: Read your bible with your family. Pray with your children. Model integrity for your family to see.
- Value your marriage. We value our homes, cars and other material possessions, but our relationships are the most valuable things we have. What we put into our relationships and marriage is what we’ll get out of them. Make your marriage a priority and find value in it. Like a millionaire once told me, “You’re wealthier than I’ll ever be.”
- Cook dinner one night. I hear men often say while taking their family out for dinner, “It was my turn to cook.” That’s the easy way out. Try actually cooking some night, AND then make sure you clean up after yourself when you’re done.